Research and Education Travel Fellowships 2020
DEBRA Australia is pleased to call for applications for its 2020 research and education travel fellowships. These grants are intended to foster professional development for early career scientists or health professionals to improve the health and wellbeing of children and adults with Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB).
This year up to $8,000 will be available for distribution. The number and mix of Fellowships awarded in each round may be varied at the discretion of DEBRA Australia’s Board of Directors, depending on the applications received. At least one award will be made to a nurse involved in EB care. The maximum grant which will be awarded for travel to Europe or the USA will be $3,500. Up to $1,200 may be awarded for travel to meetings in Australia and New Zealand.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to study these guidelines, terms and conditions carefully before preparing their applications.
Closing date for applications has been extended to 31 May. Eligible travel would need to be completed by 31 May 2021.
The applications must meet the criteria described below. They will be reviewed by DEBRA Australia’s Research and Education Committee who will make recommendations to DEBRA’s Board. These decisions will be final. No further discussion with the applicants will take place. It is expected that decisions on the fellowships will be made within four weeks of applications closing.
The Fellowship may be used for costs of flights, accommodation, or meeting registration. It will generally be paid in a single installment following receipt of proof of expenditure, in the form of receipts, or directly to suppliers at the discretion of the approving group. Applicants are expected to purchase economy class airfares and choose cheaper accommodation options if appropriate. Anticipated expenditure on individual items must be clearly specified in the application.
We understand that these Fellowships may not cover the entire costs of the travel and we encourage applicants to supplement them by applying to other funding bodies, seeking conference travel grants, utilizing professional development allowances or other personal funding.
The following guidelines should be considered before submitting the application:
- No funding will be provided to Department Heads or Senior staff.
- The applicant should be or have applied to become a financial member of DEBRA Australia Ltd.
- Applicants must clearly explain in the application how this event will help them develop professional skills required for their research or their care of EB patients.
- Applicants attending conferences for the purpose of presenting research or clinical findings need to submit proof of abstract submission/acceptance for oral or poster presentation and must be the presenting author. Any presentation given needs to acknowledge funding support from DEBRA Australia.
- Applicants should be willing to present at DEBRA-sponsored events and share the knowledge they have gained with other health care professionals and the EB community.
- Applicants must provide a 2 page lay language report about the conference/training for the DEBRA-Australia newsletter/website/media promotion within 1 month of returning.
- The applicant will not be eligible if they have been awarded a Travel Fellowship from DEBRA Australia during the previous year.
- Only one application will be accepted from a specific department/institution.
Applications must consist of:
- A CV no longer than 4 pages that must include the following details:
- Name of applicant;
- Current position;
- Educational background (highest previous qualification/date of award/institution and current degree being pursued if applicable);
- List of publications or clinical experience relating to working with EB;
- Previous grants and awards if available.
- A covering letter from the applicant which includes:
- Proposed dates, the cost of travel, accommodation and/or registration and a statement regarding relevant financial reasons for requesting meeting travel support.
- Information about any other approved or outstanding applications to other funding bodies for the same travel.
- For a conference: A description of the conference, a copy of any submitted abstract, and a personal statement highlighting how the applicant’s research/development would be enhanced by attending the conference.
- For education/training activities: A description of the topics that will be covered during the meeting, how they relate to EB, why is it important for the applicant to attend and how those topics would benefit the professional development of the individual and future care of patients with EB.
- A description of how the applicant proposes to share the knowledge that will be gained with other health care professionals and the EB community.
- A brief letter of support from the applicant’s supervisor addressing the above guidelines and a statement of eligibility. Any funding towards travel obtained from the applicant’s department/supervisor/institution should be confirmed in the letter of support.
Applications should be sent to: The Secretary, DEBRA Australia, PO Box 226 PITTSWORTH QLD 4356 or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No late applications will be accepted.